Lou Crenshaw is the Founder and President of Crenshaw Consulting Associates LLC. Lou has a record of almost four decades of proven executive success in a broad range of leadership positions in the public and private sectors. Lou has extensive experience in reorganization and realignment of large organizations with emphasis on financial issues and cross-functional alignment.
Lou’s vision for CCA is to deliver C-Suite-level consulting services to commercial and government clients by providing advice and counsel in strategic planning, executive coaching and organizational restructuring. CCA also provides assistance in capture management, client relationships and market analysis for commercial clients. The firm additionally provides due diligence and pipeline/contract analysis services to private equity investors.
Lou retired from partnership at Grant Thornton, LLP in 2013, where he was the Principal with responsibility for the firm’s national Aerospace and Defense practice, coordinating the delivery of tax, audit and business advisory services to over 50 clients. Prior to this role, Lou served as the partner responsible for the Defense and Intelligence practice within the Global Public Sector of Grant Thornton, where he had experience managing and directing Defense/Intel teams throughout the Department of Defense (DoD) to include the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Defense Agencies, military services and national intelligence agencies. Significant engagements included U.S. Marine Corps Audit, Washington Headquarters Service advisory services, Defense Logistics Agency A76/MEO support, Missile Defense Agency accounting support, Navy BRAC support and numerous strategic sourcing efforts throughout DoD.
During his over 30 years of service in the United States Navy, he commanded a Medium Attack Squadron (VA-85), a Carrier Air Wing (CVW-1) and an Aircraft Carrier Battle Group (John F. Kennedy Strike Group/ Carrier Group SIX). Lou is a graduate of the U.S. Naval Test Pilot School and an experienced test project engineer at the Naval Air Test Center, Patuxent River, MD. As a Flag Officer, he specialized in financial operations and budgeting, serving three tours of duty in the Navy’s N-8 Programming and Budgeting Directorate, culminating his career as the Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Resources, Requirements and Assessments (N8). Additionally he served as the Commander of U.S. Navy Activities, Europe where he commanded all Naval Bases located in Europe.
Lou was selected as a Fellow of the National Academy of Public Administration (NAPA) in 2011 and has participated in or lead several key studies of government agencies, including the Veterans Administration and the Maritime Administration. Established in 1967 and chartered by Congress, NAPA is a non-profit, independent coalition of top public management and organizational leaders who tackle the nation’s most critical and complex challenges.
Lou continues to be active in several trade organizations and professional societies, including the Professional Service Council, where he chairs the Macro-Economic Team for the organization’s annual Vision Conference. He also donates his time to the American Society of Military Comptrollers as the Program Chairman for the National Capital Region Professional Development Institute.
Lou is involved in the leadership of several non-profit organizations. He serves as the Chairman of the Board of the Navy Safe Harbor Foundation, an organization providing support to the Navy and Coast Guard wounded warriors, and those who are seriously injured on active duty or seriously ill. He also serves as Chairman of the Board of the Association of the United States Navy. Lou additionally serves as President of the Fund for Charitable Giving, an affiliate of the National Presbyterian Church located in Washington, DC. He is on the Executive Advisory Board of Mission Readiness, an organization dedicated to improving pre-school education for America’s future leaders and serves on the National Security Advisory Council of the US Global Leadership Coalition, a non-partisan advocate for a strong international affairs budget as a matter of national security. Lou and Marilyn Crenshaw reside in McLean, VA. They have two adult children, Lew and Lauren and a host of grandchildren. Lou and Marilyn spend their free time in Weems, Va and are frequent visitors to the local golf courses.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Certified Defense Financial Manager
- Distinguished Flying Cross Society
- Association of the United States Army (Life Member)
- National Academy of Public Administration (Fellow)
- Chairman, Navy Safe Harbor Foundation Board of Directors
- Chairman of the Board and Lifetime Benefactor, Association of the United States Navy
- National Security Advisory Council, US Global Leadership Coalition
- Executive Advisory Board, Mission Readiness
- Reston Chamber of Commerce
- American Society of Military Comptrollers
- Association of Government Accountants
- National Defense Industrial Association (Life Member)
- Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association (Life Member)
- National Contract Management Association
- U.S. Naval Institute
- U. S. Naval Academy Alumni Association (Life Member)
- Military Officers Association of America (Life Member)
- Association of Naval Aviation
- Tailhook Association
- Surface Navy Association (Life Member)
- U. S. Naval Test Pilot School, Patuxent River, MD
- B.S in Ocean Engineering, U.S. Naval Academy
Trainings and certifications
- Certified Defense Financial Manager (CDFM)
- Graduate, Federal Executive Development Program
- Black Sea Executive Program, Harvard University
- Executive Business Course, U.S. Naval Postgraduate School
- Innovation in Business Program, Babson College
- Leadership at the Peak, Center for Creative Leadership
- Capstone Course, National Defense University
- Pinnacle Course, National Defense University
- Expert Witness
- Top Secret/SBI
U.S. Navy, 1970 – 2007
Lou and Marilyn welcome President Clinton aboard Lou’s flagship, USS John F. Kennedy, in New York harbor.